Thanet Lettings Office
Lettings office address
Cooke & Co Estate Agents and Letting Agents
147 Northdown Road
Standard Opening Hours
- 8.45 until 18.00 Monday to Friday
- 8.45 until 17.30 Saturday
- On Sunday lettings is closed
- Our accounts department is open Monday until Friday to deal with all inquiries in relation to rent and payments.
- If you are a tenant and you have an emergency please call
01843 234771and follow the out of hours emergency instructions. Please remember that your call will go to a contractor who will then attend to you. Please be patient as they may already be on an emergency call. This is especially important if there are adverse weather conditions
- If you have a repair or problem that is not an emergency then please use our preferred method using this website. Our maintenance reporting system can be accessed above under the request for a repair spanner on the top menu. Please follow the simple instructions and your report will be logged with date and time and we will attend to it as soon as possible. You even have the facility to take photos to show us clearly what the problem is thus saving you time and getting repairs resolved quickly
Bank Holidays opening hours
We open 10 am until 4 pm on bank holidays with the exception of Christmas Day, Boxing Day, and New Year's day when we are all out partying. Hours are subject to change at management's discretion.
Key letting staff
- Mr Damien Cooke MNAEA MARLA (Managing Director and Founder of Cooke & Co.)
- Mrs. Kirsty Pickering (Lettings and Accounts Manager)
- Mrs. Kelly Beak (Lettings and Tenancy Manager)
- Mrs. Michelle Channing (Accounts Controller)
- Mr Harry Whitehead(Lettings & Inventory Negotiator)
- Ms. Laura Barnes (Senior Lettings Negotiator)
- Mr. Bob Verdicchio RMV Partnership Accountants (Official auditor for clients account)
How to get to our lettings Office in Cliftonville, Margate
Please find below a simplified travel plan from the A2 out of London onto the main M2 motorway which is the main route from London and the North. If you were travelling on the alternative M20 motorway which terminates at Dover you would take the A249 or A299 which are the junctions around Maidstone onto the M2 and follow the instructions from that point. There are also main links from Dover, Deal and Sandwich with signs generally directing you to Sandwich or Ramsgate. This route uses the A256. Dover is about 36 minutes from Ramsgate.
- From A2 (Do watch for speed cameras on A2)
- Continue onto M2 (signs for Dover/Channel Tunnel/Canterbury/Chatham) 25.7 mi
- Continue onto Thanet Way/A299
- Continue to follow A299 16.2 mi
- At the roundabout at the square in Birchington, take the 2nd exit onto Canterbury Rd/A28
- Continue to follow A28,
- You will travel through a set of traffic lights and although a dual carriageway it’s a 30-40mph speed limit.
- There are often mobile speed cameras at Birchington and also 2 fixed speed cameras, one near King Ethelbert’s School and one in Westbrook both coming to and going from Margate.
- Follow the road until you reach the sea front with sandy beaches to your left, this is Marine Gardens near Margate Station 5.6 mi
- At the traffic lights follow the seafront, take the 1st exit onto Marine Dr/B2051
- Continue to follow B2051. You will go past the old town and the Turner Centre, then the Winter Gardens and finally the lido all on your left about 1.0 mi.
- The main road darts sharp right and then left by Queens Court a block of retirement apartments
- Take the first junction on your right as you pass Queens Court onto Sweyn Rd
- Destination will be on the left at the top of Sweyn Road 0.2 mi
- Arrive at 147 Northdown Rd, Margate, Kent CT9 2QY and we will make you a tea or coffee.
Parking you car or motorbike
You can park on the roads coming up from the seafront with no payment needed and no time limit or there is a car park in Harold Road Cliftonville or paid for parking on the main Northdown Road. Thanet does have a lot traffic wardens who are cunning as foxes sneaking up just when you think it's all clear so please don’t park on double yellow lines or forget your pay and dispay ticket. A parking ticket would spoil your day by the sea.
We have an excellent bus service in Thanet called The Thanet Loop run by Stagecoach, there are main hubs at Westwood and Margate Town Centre in Cecil Street near the Thanet Council Offices.
This is the main bus hub in Margate. This service allows you to travel to Cliftonville, Margate, Ramsgate, Broadstairs, Birchington, Westgate and surrounding areas. All Cooke & Co offices are on main bus routes. See Stagecoach timetable for full details.
We now have a high speed link to and from London from St Pancreas although if you get hungry then pack a picnic as there is no buffet car or trolley service. The upside is you can charge you phone, laptop or just some battery's, if you feel that way inclined, for free with the socket under you seat.
- St Pancras Stop ID: STP
- Train London St Pancras to Margate Train towards Margate approximately (1 hour 22 minutes, 6 stops)
- Service run by South Eastern
- Penultimate stop: Ramsgate
The alternative is the original Broadstairs seaside service from Victoria Station with buffet trolley service serving Starbucks coffee as well as tempting alcoholic beverages although the sandwiches still are not particularly pleasant.
- Train for London Victoria usually platform 2 or 5
- Ramsgate is where service terminates. Service via Gillingham where train divides.
- Margate is 4 stops before Ramsgate and Westgate is the stop before
- It takes approximately (1 hour 50 minutes)
Be careful at Gillingham as the train splits usually with the rear 4 coaches heading off to Dover Priory. If you are on those by mistake you may never be seen or heard from again! The front coaches go to via Whitstable and Herne Bay towards Margate. Service run by South Eastern
The station closest to Cliftonville office is Margate Station and there is a taxi rank right outside the station. If you are feeling brave then the office is approximately 2 miles away following the seafront towards the clock tower. The walk is uphill and takes about 30 minutes of brisk walking.
Acceptable Methods of Payment and bank charges explained
For tenants or guarantors to pay rent, deposits and fees or for landlords to make payments to us for repairs or fees we can accept the following forms of payment. Unfortunately do not accept payments by cheque under any circumstances and we do not have the facility to set up Direct Debit payments.
We are sorry that we have to charge, what we consider to be a high administration fee/percentage, for Paypal online payments. This is not us trying to make additional profit for us or the landlord. We have to cover the charges that Paypal charge us. We do this by charging a percentage on the whole amount due. Paypal charge us on every transaction to give you this facility to help make payments easier.
- Cash (All notes are checked for forgeries and we sometimes we have to refuse banknotes if our system indicates a problem)
- Visa Debit and Credit Cards
- Payment using Paypal from our website (processing fee 3.75%)
- Cleared electronic bank transfer (Can take 3 days to be processed, no charge)
- Standing order into our client account (Can only be set up by you, no charge)
- Cleared and authenticated Bankers Draft
About the branch.
Cooke and Co was established in 1992 by current owner Damien Cooke The Margate branch is situated in a prime location on the corner of Sweyn Road and Northdown Road in Cliftonville. Many hours went into complete refurbishment.
, Unlike many estate agents who opened their letting departments in 2007 during the sales slowdown, Cooke & Co was pleased to open separate sales and letting departments when we opened our doors in 1992. These departments have successfully run in parallel for over 25 years. This approach has given us invaluable insight into both property markets, which we are happy to share with investors and landlords, in the unique Thanet area. Our watchwords have and will remain, trust, honesty, integrity, and accountability.
The branch building, we are reliably informed, was originally a tram station and was initially painted in a distinctive traditional burgundy color with hand-painted gold leaf signage and complimenting cream accents picking out some of the building's more attractive ornate carvings. In 2016 the office was completely refurbished both inside and outside featuring our refreshed logo and slate grey colour scheme. In addition, we have LED-illuminated display windows and striking red and white illuminated signage. We are proud to be awarded a civic pride award in 2017.
The building is fully illuminated at night and the offices are set over two floors offering our clients one of the largest property window displays in Thanet. Access to the office is extremely easy with plenty of parking in surrounding roads as well as being situated right on a main bus route, with the bus stop outside the office. For our client's comfort, we have full air conditioning and both open areas as well as more private offices for confidential discussions.
Lettings are managed jointly by Mrs Kirsty Pickering and Mrs Kelly Beak who are both experienced members of staff who have worked their way through the ranks, since 1999. This has allowed them to experience all aspects of lettings. Kirsty, in fact, took over the reins from her mother Sandy who also worked with us, loyally, for many years in lettings until her retirement. All members of the lettings team live in Thanet and can share their honest feelings, about specific areas with you.
The Cliftonville office covers all aspects of lettings for our three local branches which give us complete Thanet wide coverage. This includes all administration, legal documents, inventories, maintenance, and inquiries. We link all our local offices together, who work together, not against each other, using an award-winning system that gives our properties full exposure right across Thanet.
At Cooke & Co we all work together towards the common goal of finding you a home to let or renting properties for landlords in an enjoyable, professional, and efficient way.
Make 'A move in the right direction' and 'Come live by the sea.'